To weather the lockdown we are recommending some great Indoor Activities. Colder temperatures and blowing rain makes for perfect family cuddle time. Also make sure to sign-up for the Best Living Japan weekly newsletter to find the best activities and living info for global families in Japan.
Lockdown Day Activities – Stuck at home and kids climbing the walls?
25 Activities to Survive the lockdown as a Happy Family
1. Make a Rainy Day Box stocked with favorite puzzles, mazes, crossword puzzles, word finds, interactive “I Spy” type picture books, and little toys to play with.
3. Decorate an umbrella – great to prevent kids from losing theirs.
4. Washi Tape City – Do you have a lot of washi tape or masking tape around the house? The tape outlines the streets that can go every which way. Let the kids make a city on the floor and furniture for their cars to drive.
5. Play board games that take forever, like Monopoly, Life, and Rummikub. Playing by candlelight or flashlights almost adds an eliminate of fun during stormy weather.
6. Measure the rain. Put some tall containers outside and measure the amount of rain that each one catches as the store passes.
8. Make Moon Sand – Moon Sand is cool sensory change to play dough. Easy to make with just flour, cornstart and corn oil. Whip up a bunch and let the kids play – add essentional oils such as mint or lavender to make it even more enjoyable. Once done playing just put in a plastic zip bag and it can last for 2-3 months. Details at wiki how.
9. Make a Japan silhouette to hang on your wall.
10. Have the Kids Make a Home Video – Great time to interview your kids about Snow Days in Tokyo. Capture their feedback on why they Love Tokyo Snow Day. Post on social media to share with family and friends.
11. Make a blanket fort. Forget about the mess and let your kids have some fun.
13. Play charades with a theme (animals, famous people, movies, songs, etc.)
14. Do origami. You can find good instructions here.
15. Bake Halloween Cookies.
16. Make your Halloween costumes.
18. Learn to sew on a button or even something more complicated.
19. Do “100 yen jobs” around the house (ask to sweep & mop floors, clean all windows, dust all baseboards).
20. Have an indoor relay race (Cotton balls on spoons, jumping with a ball and more ideas here.).
21. Create your own Lego creations. Here are some fun Lego Building Projects for Kids.
22. Warm up with a bubble bath. Kids will want to soak in the tub with their toys for hours.
23. Have an indoor treasure hunt. Make it educational by hiding letters or words around the house. Younger kids can search for letters and spell names or the alphabet. Older kids can piece together words to form sentences.
24. Have an indoor picnic. Roll out the blankets and have a cozy picnic in your living room. Kids love making the bento or sandwiches.
25. Family Nap!
Get out the old photos, magazines and some paper and glue and pens and have a collage-making session. Here are some great Collage Art Ideas for Kids.
Tokyo at home Activities – Stuck at home and kids climbing the walls?