I find the most difficult month of the year to live in Tokyo August, but visiting one of the many Tokyo pools can offer a respite to the heat and humidity even if just for a few hours. Tokyo has many great local pools that are family-friendly and most are quite reasonable. Some do not allow children under three, so check details below. If you have a little one and are looking for a Tokyo wading or splash pool, check out our list here. ** Pools can be closed in poor weather, please call to check openings.
Tokyo Pool Tips
- Now most pools require little ones to toilet trained before entering. Most do not allow swim diapers.
- Many pools require swim caps so order some simple ones to take with you to be safe.
- Many pools do not have lockers so don’t carry more than you need.
- Most pools now allow rash guards in the pool, but if asked to remove you must.
- Remember your sun protection and towels.
- Some pools still do not allow people with tattoos – wear a rash guard to cover or band-aid/tape over.
- Most pools do not allow mobile phones for privacy reasons.
- Most pools do not allow tattoos. Please cover with bandage tape or wear a rash guard.
Tokyo Pools – Where To Swim Outside This Summer
1. Aqua Field Pool アクアフィールド芝公園 (Minato-Ku, Tokyo) – Open July 1 – September 15, 2019 – Swim while viewing Tokyo Tower. This pool is located across the street from Shiba Park, Zojoji Temple and Shiba Park Playground. Children over the age of three allowed in pool, but they must be toilet trained. Outdoor 50 M pool that has some lanes closed for swimmers doing laps and part roped for water play area. You can also grab and early breakfast at Le Pain Quotidien which is right up the street.
Address: Shiba-Koen 2-7-2, Minato-Ku (港区芝公園2丁目7番2号) (google map)
Cost: Up to two hours: Adults 500 JPY, Junior High and below 200 JPY
Hours: 09:00 – 20:00 (September closes at 17:00) * Closed on Monday, July 18 for swim competition.
Access: 1 min walk from Shiba Koen Station on the Mita line, 5 min walk from Daimon Station on the Oedo and Asakusa Stations.
Website: http://www.city.minato.tokyo.jp/sports/kodomo/sports/sports/akua.html (in Japanese)
2. Etchujima Pool 越中島プール (Koto-ku, Tokyo) – Open July 7 – September 2, 2019 – Babies must be out of diapers to enter pool. Two outdoor pools 50M (1.3-1.5M deep) and same pool 17 X 17M (0.5- 1.0 deep). Great for families during the week, gets super crowded on the weekends in late July and August.
Address: 1-3-23 Etchujima, Koto, Tokyo 135-0044 (江東区越中島1-3-23) (google map)
Cost: Two hours Adults 400 JPY, Junior High and below 150JPY, additional hours can be added; Adult 200 JPY per hour, Junior High and below 75 JPY per hour
Hours: July 7 – 20 and September 1 & 2 10:00-18:00; July 21 – August 31 9:00-21:00
Access: 5 min walk from Etschujima station on the Keiyo Line
Website: http://di-ksp.jp/echujima.html(in Japanese)
3. Meguro Citizens Center Gymnasium Pool 目黒区民センター屋外プール(Meguro-Ku, Tokyo) – Open July 1 – September 11, 2019 – Babies must be out of diapers to enter pool. Outdoor pool 50 x 25 m and and toddler pool (#2 on our wading pools and splash ponds list). Great for families during the week, gets super crowded on the weekends in late July and August.
Address: 2-4-36 Meguro, Meguro-ku (〒153-0063 目黒区目黒二丁目4番36号) (google map)
Cost: Two hours Adults 200 JPY, Junior High and below 100 JPY; additional hour Adults 100 JPY and JH and below 50 JPY
Hours: 10:00 – 21:00. *Closed July 9 – 13 for facility inspection.
Access: 14 min walk from Meguro station on the JR Yamanote Line, or the Namboku Subway
Website: http://www.city.meguro.tokyo.jp/kurashi/sports_koen_yoka/sports/sports_shisetsuriyou/shisetsubetu/pool_/indoorpool_nittei.html (Japanese)
4. Setagaya Public Pool 世田谷区公園屋外プール (Setagaya-Ku, Tokyo) – July 1- September 10, 2019 – Great public pool in the middle of Setagaya Park which kids love – mini steam engine rides, pedal go karts and shanty town. Kids must be toilet trained to enter the pool, no swim diapers allowed. Two swimming areas: 25M pool (0.8 – 1.3M deep) and toddler pool. Enjoy the park and two great places to grab food nearby: Fungo Sandwich Shop and Granny Smith’s. July 1 – September 10, 2018
Address: 1-5-27 Ikejiri, Setagaya-ku, Tokyo (〒154-0001 東京都世田谷区池尻１丁目５－２７) (google map)
Cost: Two hour limit: Adults 360 JPY, Elementary – Junior High 100 JPY. If adult accompanying child and not swimming 50 JPY.
Hours: 09:00 –11:00, 11:30 – 1:30, 2:00 –4:00, 4:30 – 6:30; September 1-10 Hours 10:00-12:00, 12:30-2:30, 3:00-5:00
Access: 5 min walk from Ikejiri-Ohashi or Yutenji Stations
5. Shinagawa Community Pool しながわ区民公園屋外プール (Shinagawa-Ku, Tokyo) – This pool was renewed last year and is a mini play park for little ones. Open July 10 – September 9, 2019- Kids must be toilet trained to enter the pool, no swim diapers allowed. Three swimming areas: 25M pool, Shape pool 0.75-0.8M deep, and Water play pool 0.25-0.30M deep with small slides and water bucket. The pool is in the same park as one of our favorite Tokyo Adventure Parks.
Address: Katsushima 3-2-2, Shinagawa, Tokyo (品川区、勝島 3-2-2) (google map)
Cost: Adults 400 JPY, Junior High 200 JPY, Elementary 100 JPY, 5 and under free
Hours: 9:30-12:15; 1:15-4:15 (closed Monday, August 6th); Evening swim from 5pm-8pm on Wed, Sat & Sun till August 31
Access: Paid car parking next door in Shinagawa Kumin Park. 10 min walk from Tachiaigawa Station (立会川駅) on the Keikyu Train line from Shinagawa station
6. Tamagawa Noge-cho Park & Outdoor pool 玉川野毛町公園屋外プール (Setagaya-ku, Tokyo) – Open July 1 – September 9, 2019 – Kids must be toilet trained to enter the pool, no swim diapers allowed. Three swimming areas: 25M pool, Shape pool 0.75-0.8M deep, and Water play pool 0.25-0.30M deep with small slides and water bucket.
Address: 1-25-1 Noge, Setagaya-ku, Tokyo (〒158-0092 東京都世田谷区野毛１丁目25-1) (google map)
Cost: Two hour limit: Adults 360 JPY, Elementary – Junior High 100 JPY
Hours: July 1 – August 30 09:00 –11:00, 11:30 – 1:30, 2:00 –4:00 4:30 – 6:30; September 1 – 10 10:00-12:00, 2:30-4:30, 5pm-7pm
Access: 10 min walk from Todoroki Station on the Oimachi Line
7. Wadabori Outdoor Pool 和田堀公園プール(Suginami-Ku, Tokyo)– Open July 1 – September 9, 2019- Kids of all ages welcome. Three pools outside; 50 meter (1.2-1.5M deep), 25 meter (0.8 – 1.0 M deep) and 15 meter (0.3 – 0.4M deep. Address: 2-2-10 Omiya, Suginami-Ku (〒168-0061 杉並区大宮2丁目2番10号) (google map)
Cost: Two hour periods – Adults 400 JPY, ages 4 – Junior High 200 JPY, 3 and under free
Hours: 09:00 – 18:00. Closed on September 1 & 2 for a convention.
Access: 8 min walk from Eifukucho Station and Nishieifuku station on the Keio Inokashira Line
Website: www.city.suginami.tokyo.jp/shisetsu/sports/pool/1007049.html (in Japanese)
7. Showa Kinen Park Rainbow Pool
Open from July 13 – September 1st. The Rainbow Pool area and park is 2,250 JPY for adults (15 and over), 1,220 JPY for kids (6-14 years) and 310 JPY for (4-5 years).
The Rainbow Pool complex which is 6 hectares (15 acres) has five pools – the Wave Pool, Waterslide Pool, Adventure Pool, Monument Pool and Running Water Pool. There is also a baby and toddler pool, but that is a separate admission. Showers, changing facility and lockers are available. Make sure to bring your towels, sun lotion, and sandals. It gets really busy in the summer so come early. Showa Kinen Park is one of our favorite in Tokyo with multiple play grounds and bike rental and paths.
Showa Kinen Park Rainbow Pool Details
Address: Midoricho 3173, Tachikawa-shi, Tokyo 国営昭和記念公園 (〒190-0014 東京都立川市緑町３１７３)
Telephone: 042- 524-1516 (Japanese language only)
Cost: 2,500 yen for 15+ adults, 1,400 for Elementary and Junior high and 500 yen for nursery
Hours:9:30 – 18:30
Access: 2 min walk from Nishi Tachikawa Station, 14 min walk from Tachikawa station. I recommend you take eh Chuo Line from Shinjuku directly to Nishi Tachikawa station which is a good spot to get a rental bike. There is a also a large parking lot at the Nishi Tachikawa park side (near the station). Cost to park is 820 JPY for the day.
Tokyo Pools – Where To Swim Outside This Summer
Did you enjoy this article? If yes, please sign-up for the Best Living Japan newsletter, so you don’t miss any great info. It is easy to sign-up just click here, and enter your email.