Looking for English language Tokyo Churches, Temples & Synagogues? There are many places of worship in the Tokyo area that say English is spoken, and foreigners are welcome. However, I have found to feel truly comfortable and part of the congregation the service needs to be delivered by a native speaker and the congregation filled with members you can relate and feel at home. Here is a short-list churches, temples and synagogues that I think meet those needs. If you have a recommendation for a place of worship to add, please send to contact @BestLivingJapan. Also please check details at listed websites before you attend services since information can change. I hope you find the right place for you or your family!
Tokyo Churches, Temples & Synagogues
1. Franciscan Chapel Center (Roppongi, Tokyo)
Address: 4-2-37 Roppongi, Minato-ku
Access: 2 min walk from Roppongi Subway Station
Services in English: Saturday 8:00 & 18:00, Sunday 8:00, 10:00. 12:00 & 18:00; Confessions Saturday 16:30-17:30
Sunday School: Classes are held Sundays during the school year, 9:00 – 10:00 for registered children ages 3-14.
2. The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints in Japan (Hiroo, Tokyo)
Address: 5-8-10 Minami Azabu, Minato-ku, Tokyo
Access: 3 min walk from Hiroo Station on the Hibiya Line, also car parking available
Services in English: Tuesday – Friday 10:00, 11:00, 14:00, 16:30 and 19:00; Saturday 7:00, 8:00, 9:30. 10:30, 12:00, 13:00 and 14:30
3. St. Alban’s Anglican Episcopal Church (Shiba Koen, Tokyo)
Address: 3-6-25 Shiba Koen Minato-ku
Access: 5 min walk from Kamiyacho Subway Station
Services in English: Sunday Holy Eucharist 8:00 & 10:30. Sunday – Thursday morning prayer at 7:30, and evening prayer at 18:30; midweek Holy Eucharist Wednesday 12:30
Sunday School: Kids’ Chapel at 10:15 AM. Sunday School and Baby-sitting service is available at the 10:30 AM service on Sunday
4. St. Paul International Lutheran Church (Fujimi, Tokyo)
Address: 1-2-32 Fujimi, Chiyoda, Tokyo
Access: 5-10 min walk from Idabashi and Kudanshita stations
Services in English: Sunday morning, 9:30, for English language worship, followed by Fellowship time at 10:45 , and Sunday School and Adult Forum at 11:00.
Sunday School: Every Sunday at 11:00 for children 4-10 years.
5. Tokyo Union Church (Omotesando, Tokyo)
Address: 5-7-7 Jingumae, Shibuya-ku, TokyoPhone:03-3400-0047
Access: 3 min walk from Omotesando station
Services in English: September – mid-June there are two Sunday morning services: 8:30 and 11:00 AM, with a Fellowship Coffee Hour following the 11:00 service.
Childcare and Sunday School:
– Nursery care for children ages 0-3 is provided in the first floor nursery where friendly professionals look after them from the start of the 8:30 AM service until the end of the 11:00 AM service.
– Children aged 3-8, who are not yet able to sit comfortably through an entire service, are invited to join the Children’s Church immediately following Good News for Kids at the 8:30 AM and 11:00 AM services. In addition, Sunday School classes are offered for ages 3-5 (Angels Class, 4th floor) at 9:30 AM and for ages 6-11 (Kingdom Come Kids, Fellowship Hall B1) at 9.:45 AM.
6. Jewish Community of Japan (Hiroo, Tokyo)
Address: 3-8-8, Hiroo, Shibuya-ku, Tokyo
Access: 15 min walk from Hiroo station on the Hibiya line
Services in English: Friday Evening Services – Egalitarian Kabbalat Shabbat and Ma’ariv service at 18:30. Services are followed by a kosher dinner, singing, and socializing at around 19:30. To join for dinner, please make your reservations by Thursday pm via the link here. Saturday Services – Egalitarian Shachrit service at 9:30. Services are followed by kiddush and lunch, singing and schmoozing at around 12:00. To join us for lunch, please make your reservations by Thursday 2pm via the link here.
7. Tokyo Baptist Church (Shibuya, Tokyo)
Address: 9-2 Hachiyama-cho, Shibuya-ku, Tokyo
Access: 5 min walk from Daikanyama Station on the Tokyu Toyoko Line
Services in English: Saturday 19:00-20:30, Sunday 9:00-10:30, 11:00-12:30, 13:30-15:00 and 17:30-19:00.
Childcare and Sunday School: Childcare is available for children 0-2 years old in all services. 3-elementry have Sunday School during the 9:00-10:30 & 11:00-12:30 Sunday services.
8. Tokyo Lutheran Church (Shinjuku, Tokyo)
Address: 1-14-14 Ookubo Shinjuku.
Access: 5 Minutes walk from Shin-Okubo Station. 7 minutes Okubo Station or 10 minutes Higashi-Shinjuku Station
Services in English: Sunday worship every week.10:00; Pastor’s cafe every Wednesday.11:00-14:00; English Bible study every Thursday 19:00
9. Yokohama Christ Church (Naka-ku, Yokohama)
Services in English:
Address: 235 Yamate-cho, Naka-ku, Yokohama
Access: 5 min walk from the Station Motomachi-chukagai on the Minato-mirai line
10. Sacred Heart Cathedral (Naka-ku, Yokohama)
Services in English:
Access: 5 min walk from JR Ishikawacho Station
11. Yokohama International Baptist Church (045-621-5858), near JR Yamate Station, offers a Christmas cantata by its adult choir. Ministries in English, German, Tagalog, Korean and Japanese.
12. Osaka International Church (06-6768-4385), near JR Tamatsukuri Station.
13. Japan Evangelical Lutheran Church, Osaka (06-6941-3067), near Tanimachi-yonchome subway station.
14. International Christian Fellowship Church (011-669-3038) – for more information about the church and how to access along with a map please see their homepage.
Tokyo Churches, Temples & Synagogues
Did you enjoy this article? If yes, please sign-up for the Best Living Japan newsletter, so you don’t miss any great info. It easy to sign-up just click here, and enter your email.
Hello. I’m really looking for Russian native speaker Christian sisters and brothers. (Russian, Ukrainian, Kazakhstan, etc) (protestants)
I serched a lot but cant find any information about Russian christians nor Russian language service(but not Orthodox) in Tokyo. Could you help me find some one with whom I could pray, read, share testimonies,and worship God?
Yulia, Sorry I do not have any information on Russian native speakers and religion. I recommend you contact the Russian Embassy and ask. Lauren
Thank you for waiting. 8 Tokyo Lutheran Church’s new English website is up now. Please go to: http://jelctokyo.org/english/
We appreciate it if you could link the name to this site.