Here is a curated listed of Tokyo-based English speaking OBGYNs that we (Lauren and Sandra) and many of my Tokyo Expat friends have used and recommend. If you are choosing an OBGYN for pregnancy, you will also want to check which hospital or clinic the doctor has delivery access. Choosing a doctor is a personal decision based on many decision factors. This list below should guide you in the right direction, but the final decision on which doctor you use is yours alone.
If you have other English-speaking OBGYNs to recommend please email me at the contact form or submit below in the comment section. Hopefully, this information will be helpful for you and your family!
Tokyo-based English Speaking OBGYNs
English Speaking Tokyo OBGYNS
listed alphabetically； * JNHI (Japanese National Health Insurance)
1. Dr. Mayumi Ebine (OBGYN) – Female. Dr. Ebine is a fluent English speaker who founded the Shirokane Takanawa Ebine Women’s Clinic. The offer comprehensive OBGYN services and mammograms. Their hours are excellent – open 7 days a week (minus national holidays). Highly recommend. Japanese health insurance is accepted.
English website information: http://ebine-womens-clinic.com/english
Address: 7th floor of the Takanawa Building, 1-2-17 Takanawa, Minato-ku, Tokyo
Access: 1 min walk from the Shirogane Takanawa station on the Mita and Namboku Lines
Phone: : 03-5789-2590
2. Dr. Miyazaki (GYN) – Male. Dr. Miyazaki specializes in fertility treatments, amnio testing and complicated pregnancies. Fluent in English, with English speaking nurses. Accepts Japanese Health Insurance card.
Clinic: Miyazaki Obstetrics & Gynecology Clinic (Accepts JNHI)
Address: 1-1-5 Motoakasaka, Minato-ku, Tokyo 107-0051
3. Dr. Nagahashi (OB/GYN) – Female. Dr. Nagahashi is a female OBGYN who speaks excellent English. Highly recommended by Tokyo mothers.
Clinic: Nagahashi Ladies Clinic (Accepts JNHI)
Address: 2-5-7 Nagasaki Toshima-ku, Tokyo 171-0051
4. Dr. Oshiba, Yoko (OB/GYN) – Female. Dr. Oshiba is the head of the OBGYN department at Sanno Hospital and she is fluent in English.
Clinic: Sanno Hospital (Accepts JNHI)
Address: 8-10-16 Akasaka, Minato-ku, Tokyo 107-0052
5. Dr. Sakamoto (OBGYN) – Male. Dr. Sakamoto is fluent in English, Japanese and Spanish. He is board certified in both the U.S. and Japan, performs c-sections and is renowned for epidural guarantee. He works out of two clinics in Tokyo, and delivers at Seibo, Sanno and Aiiku Hospitals.
Clinic: http://tmsc.jp/ (Does not accept JNHI)
Address: 3-4-30, Shibakoen 2nd fl
Clinic: Omotesando Ladies Clinic (Accepts JNHI)
Address: 4-11-6 Jingumae, Shibuyaku B2
Some popular hospitals where many foreign mothers chose to give birth. – Tokyo-based English Speaking OBGYNs
1. Aiiku Hospital (Shibaura, Minato-ku)
New hospital is located near Tamachi station (used to be be near Airsagawa Park)
Address: 1-16-10 Shibaura, Minato-Ku, Tokyo 105-8321
2. Japan Red Cross Medical Center (Red Cross Hospital) – very popular with water births
Address: 4-1-22 Hiroo,shibuya-ku,Tokyo 150-8935
3. Jikei Hospital, Women’s and Children’s Center (Nishi Shinbashi, Minato-ku)
Address: 3-25-8 Nishi Shinbashi, Minato-ku, Tokyo 105-8321
4. Sanno Hospital (Akasaka, Minato-ku)
Address: 8-10-16 Akasaka, Minato-ku, Tokyo, 107-0052
5. Seibo International Catholic Hospital (Nakaochia, Shinjuku-ku)
Address: 5-2-1 Nakaochia, Shinjuku-ku, Tokyo
6. St. Luke’s International Hospital (near Tsukiji, Chuo-ku)
Address: 9-1 Akashicho, Chuo, Tokyo 104-8560
Tokyo-based English Speaking OBGYNs
Did you enjoy this article? If yes, please sign-up for the Best Living Japan newsletter, so you don’t miss any great info. It is easy to sign-up just click here, and enter your email.