Japan car sharing makes renting a car easy. Times Car Share, along with ORIX and Careco, have locations throughout Japan and many in Tokyo with a variety of cars from compact to vans, basic to luxury, electric to gas. We`ve used ORIX, Careco and Times Car Plus and am happy with all services.
What is Car Share?
Car sharing in Japan is an automated way to rent a vehicle by the hour. It`s great for customers who use a vehicle occasionally without the overhead costs of owning a car, and for those who want access to a different vehicle day to day. It is easy and affordable, and great for Day trips out of Tokyo, short shopping trips to IKEA and Costco or trips to Home & Garden centers like D2, Tenpos Buster or the TOC in Gotanda.
What you need to sign up:
1) Credit Card
2) Japanese drivers license
3) Help if you can`t read Japanese (sign up and reservation process is entirely in Japanese).
Once approved you will need to visit a Times Car Plus Center to receive a userID, password, access card and documents. Log onto the Times Car Plus website and download the Times Car Plus app. Input your nearest station, select your vehicle and if available reserve for your allotted time (Select the date and time and the number of hours or minutes you are renting the vehicle). Once reserved Times Car Plus will send you a text message confirming your reservation and a follow up reminder 10-15 min before your rental time. When ready, go to the vehicle, pass your Times Car Plus card over the card reader and the vehicle doors will unlock. Open the glove box / center compartment to retrieve the vehicle key, adjust the car to your liking and enjoy the ride. When returning the car place the key in the glove box / center compartment, exit the vehicle, wave the Times Car Plus card over the card reader and the vehicle doors will lock. An email will then be sent to your mobile summarizing your trip with details such as Maximum speed reached, Number of rapid accelerations, sharp decelerations, penalty fees, etc.
Times Car Plus offers an individual and family plan at 1030 JPY per month or free for students or businesses. Discounts are offered for 6, 12, 24 hour and nightly rental packs.
|plan||Monthly basic charge||Free usage charge (※)||Features||Contents · condition|
|Individual plan||¥ 1,030||¥ 1,030||It is the basic plan of Times Car Plus.||You can choose any individual guest.|
|Family plan||¥ 1,030||¥ 1,030||With the monthly basic charge for one person, all family members can use it.||The family name or address stated on your driver’s license must be the same.(Membership cards are issued one by one to their families.)|
|Student plan||free||0 Yen||The monthly basic charge for 4 years from entry month is free.||It must be a student of a school corporation in Japan. (A copy of the student ID card is necessary.) Also, after 4 years, it will be automatically transferred to “individual plan”, monthly basic charge will be incurred.|
|Corporate plan||free||0 Yen||The monthly basic charge is a free plan.||There is a simple review at the time of joining.|
※ For individual plans / family plans, free use fee of 1,030 yen is included! It can be used for “usage fee”. (It is not possible to carry forward.)
※ If you use over a month, it will be allocated from the free usage fee of the returned month.
Discount Rental packs
Pack usage fee will be the same regardless of the basic premium class.
|menu||Pack fee||Distance fee|
|6 hour pack||¥ 4,020||None|
|12 hour pack||¥ 6,690||16 yen / driving km|
|24 hour pack||¥ 8,230|
|Early night pack (18: 00 ~ 24: 00)||¥ 2,060|
|Late night pack (24: 00 ~ next 9: 00)||¥ 2,060|
|Double night pack (18: 00 ~ next 9: 00)||¥ 2,580|
- Check the vehicle before you reserve. There are different types and sizes to choose from. Best to go and look at the car before reserving it online. We found ourselves in a compact car much smaller than we had anticipated.
- If traveling via the highway remember to insert an ETC card. The ETC card is a card that allows a vehicle to pass slowly through toll gates without a complete stop – similar to the EZ pass in the Midwestern and Northeastern
US or the FasTrak in the Bay Area. ETC cards are available for rent from the Car Share companies.
- Please leave the car as you found it. The next person using the car can file a complaint leaving a mark on your rental record if the car is found in poor condition.
- If low on fuel please fill up the car. A complimentary gas card is located in each vehicle to use for fuel.
- A child booster seat can be found in the trunk of most cars.
- If using a vehicle for an entire weekend we recommend renting from a car rental agency for better rates. A few popular ones are Nippon Rent a Car, Toyota Rent a car, and Hertz.
P.S. Not sure where to go? Visit our Tokyo Day Trip archives. Drive Safe and remember to buckle up!
Japan Carshare with Times Car Plus – Car Rental by the Hour
Did you enjoy this article? If yes, please sign-up for the Best Living Japan newsletter, so you don’t miss any great info. It is easy to sign-up just click here, and enter your email.