Mother Farm in Chiba is a great day trip from Tokyo if you are looking for open space, farm animals, fruit and veggie picking and small amusement rides. It is also dog-friendly so bring pooch along. The farm is located about a 60-90 min drive from central Tokyo via the Aqua Line. You can also take a train and then bus to the farm which takes about 90 mins. Mother Farm is located on the top of rolling mountains from which you can see beautiful vistas of the countryside. Note: there is a lot of walking up and down hills so bring a stroller if you don’t want to carry the little ones. There is trolly that you can ride around the park, but it is an extra fee. One the way home you can also stop by the Mitsui Outlet Park for some quick shopping. If you have a day or two in Chiba, combine with a trip to Sea World (there is a combined ticket which give a Mather’s Farm and Sea World discount). Details on each locations website.
At holiday time time the Farm has many seasonal events including great illuminations from 4:00pm. Enjoy the animals during daylight and stay for some fun illuminations. Illuminations run every evening until the end of March.
Mother Farm, Chiba – Fun For Your Kids & Dogs!
As soon as you arrive to Mother Farm check out the times of the major shows and hands-on experiences such as the sheep shearing, the sheep herding, piglet race, rodent petting and cow milking. Most of the shows and experiences seem to take place 3-4 times a day. In between you can pick veggies or fruits (strawberries and mini tomatoes were in season when we visited), ride a horse, have lunch at one of the four restaurants, visit the barns of various animals, or just run around the wide open area.
We arrived at 10:00 a.m. on a Sunday and departed at 4:00. Plan for 4-6 hours to see everything, and have lunch. Our top five highlights of the Mother Farm day were
1. The Piglet Races – First line-up before the race near the “pig stadium” and have your children get a lottery ticket. If the child’s number is chosen, they will get to be one of the 24 kids who chase the piglet from the start to goal. When we attended, it seemed about 50% of the kids won a chance. We were lucky, and my daughter got to run a piglet. It was historical as the kids run around crazy try to herd the piglet. A must.
2. The Sheep show and shearing that takes place in the Dome near the duck pond is also a great experience. A shepherd herds out 19 different sheep from around the world and explains a bit about each one. Then herding dogs and baby lambs are brought out and explained. Some kids also get selected to feed the baby lambs with bottles. Too cute.
3. The cow milking is quite popular for the young ones. A must is getting some fresh made ice-cream afterwards.
4. I am not a huge fan of the rodent petting, but it is one of the most popular hands-on experience at Mother Farm. Each child is given gloves to wear and a towel to hold the rabbit or guide pig. Each child can choose the rodent of their choice and hold for 15-30 mins. They do close the exhibit a few times a day to let the rabbits and guinea pigs rest.
5. For an additional 500 yen, you can ride a horse which was a big highlight of the day for my daughter and son. You can also take a 30 min lesson for 2,000 yen.
Walking the hills you will build up quite an appetite so bring a picnic or enjoy on of the restaurants. We had lunch with our dog at our table a the Terrance BBQ. You line up and pick out your meats and veggies and then grill at your table.
There is also a very cute arts and crafts house which offers 5-6 crafts per day for an incremental fee. Nice gift to take home instead of the standard cookies.
Overall a fun experience for my younger two (ages 3 and 12) and out dog. He was the most excited to see all the animals. Mother Farm has done a great job setting up dog parking area with benches, water, and bowls and has a dog run area which athletic equipment for the pooch.
Great day in the spring, summer and fall.
Mother Farm Details
Address: 940-3 Tagura Futtsu Chiba (千葉県富津市田倉940-3)
Business Hours: Open 9:00 – Close 17:00 (On season Weekend)
Cost: General admission Adult 1,500 JPY, Child 4- elementary 800 JPY, dog 600 JPY; Tour tickets (general plus free riding on the trolley) Adult 2,500 JPY, Child 4 – elementary 1,300 JPY, dogs 700 JPY
Access: JR LINE Tokyo Sta. → Kimitsu Sta., Highway Bus Tokyo Sta. → Kimitsu Sta. Free Shuttle Bus from Kimitsu Sta. to Mother Farm *Need Reservation +81-439-37-3211
- ・JR Kimitsu Sta 10:40 → Mother Farm 11:20
- ・Mother Farm 15:30 → JR Kimitsu Sta 16:10
Mother Farm, Chiba – Fun For Your Kids & Dogs!
Did you enjoy this article? If yes, please sign-up for the Best Living Japan newsletter so you don’t miss any great info. It is easy to sign-up just click here, and enter your email.