Japan Carshare is an automated way to rent a vehicle by the hour. It`s great for customers who use a vehicle occasionally without the overhead costs of owning a car, and for those who want access to a different vehicle day to day. It is easy and affordable, and great for short shopping trips to IKEA and Costco, and Day trips out of Tokyo.
I used ORIX CarShare over the weekend and was pleasantly surprised at how easy it was to sign up, reserve and use a car.
What you need to sign up:
1) Credit Card
2) Help if you can`t read Japanese.
And one of the following:
– Japanese drivers license
– International Drivers Permit that complies with the Geneva Convention.
– Drivers License from Switzerland, Germany, France, Belgium, Slovenia, Monaco, Taiwan, and Japanese Translation by the region`s embassy or consulate in Japan or by the Japan Automobile Federation (JAF).
Once approved you will receive an ORIX members card with IC Chip, and userID and password. Log onto the ORIX Car Share website or download the ORIX Car Share app. Search for a vehicle nearest your location, and if available reserve for your allotted time. Go to the vehicle with your members card at your reservation time and look for the “IC Card Touch Here” sticker. Touch the sticker with your IC card and the vehicle doors will unlock. Open the glove box to retrieve the vehicle key, adjust the car to your liking and enjoy the ride. When returning the car place the key in the glove box in the “locked” position, exit the vehicle then touch the IC card on the sticker to lock the doors.
ORIX CarShare offers two plans; Plan A has a basic monthly fee of 2,000 JPY per month + 200 JPY per 15 minutes of use, with an additional charge of 15 JPY per kilometer driven. Plan B does not have a monthly fee but usage is priced at 300 JPY per 15 minutes + 15 JPY per kilometer driven. 15 minute rates are higher for Deluxe Class cars. ORIX offers discounts for 6, 12 and 24 hour rental packs.
|2,000 yen||Fee per 15 minutes||200 yen||300 yen||200 yen||15 yen / km|
|6 hour pack||3,500 yen||4,000 yen|
|12 hour pack||4,500 yen||6,500 yen|
|24 hour pack||6,000 yen||8,000 yen|
|0 Yen||Fee per 15 minutes||300 yen||450 yen||300 yen||15 yen / km|
|6 hours pack||5,250 yen||6,000 yen|
|12 hour pack||6,750 yen||9,750 yen|
|24 hour pack||9,000 yen||12,000 yen|
ORIX offers all types of vehicles from compact cars to cargo vans, electric hybrid cars and European luxury cars. If an ORIX CarShare vehicle isn`t located near you alternatives are Times Car Plus and Careco.
- Check the vehicle before you reserve. There are different types and sizes to choose from. Best to go and look at the car before reserving it online. We found ourselves in a compact car much smaller than we had anticipated.
- If traveling via the highway remember to insert an ETC card. The ETC card is a card that allows a vehicle to pass slowly through toll gates without a complete stop – similar to the EZ pass in the Midwestern and Northeastern US or the FasTrak in the Bay Area. ETC cards are available for rent from the Car Share companies.
- Please leave the car as you found it. The next person using the car can file a complaint leaving a mark on your rental record if the car is found in poor condition.
- If low on fuel please fill up the car. A complimentary gas card is located in each vehicle to use for fuel.
- A child booster seat can be found in the trunk of most cars.
- If using a vehicle for an entire weekend we recommend renting from a car rental agency for better rates. A few popular ones are Nippon Rent a Car, Toyota Rent a car, and Hertz.
P.S. Not sure where to go? Visit our Tokyo Day Trip archives. Drive Safe and remember to buckle up!
Japan Carshare with ORIX – Car Rental by the Hour