Happy New Year! Most people are probably planning slow weekends of returns and post-holiday busy life, but here are our curated list of family activities for this coming weekend January 5 & 6, 2019 Tokyo Weekend Family Events, and Activities. Laugh, Learn & Live! ~ Lauren & Sandra
1. O-Edo Antique Market (International Forum, Yurakucho) – Held twice a month; 1st and 3rd Sundays. Is said to be the largest outdoor Antique market in Japan. Super central and convenient for people who live in downtown Tokyo. This is one of my favourites.
• Date: Sunday, January 6th & 20th, 2019
• Time: 9:00 to 16:00
• What is for sale: 250 sellers: 2/3 Japanese antiques and crafts and 1/3 other
• Parking: plenty of parking available
• Access: 1 min walk from Yurakucho Sta., 5 mins walk from Tokyo Sta.
• Address: 3-5-1 Marunouchi, Chiyoda-ku,Tokyo
• Website: www.antique-market.jp/eng/index.shtml
2. Ohi Racecourse Flea Market (Shinagawa-ku) – The opening weekend of the Ohi Racetrack flea market is this weekend. If you are hungry for treasure hunting in the New Year venture out to shop for antiques, used clothing and home items. You have to filter through lots of odds and ends but you probably will walk away with some great items.
Event date and time: Saturday & Sunday, January 5th – 6th, 2019; 8:30 – 14:30
Address: Ohi Racecourse（First parking lot) 2-1-2, Katsushima, Shinagawa-ku, Tokyo 140-0012
3. Strawberry Picking January to late March is a great time for a family trip for strawberry picking in the Tokyo area. Here is our updated 2018-2019 list of top strawberry picking gardens you can enjoy in the Tokyo area on a half-day or one-day trip. We have chosen six gardens; two in Chiba, one in Saitama and two in Kanagawa. Many of these gardens run through May, but best strawberries are January through February, cost of picking decreases at most gardens as the picking become less ideal. https://bestlivingjapan.com/strawberry-picking-tokyo-area/
4. Dezome Shiki (Tokyo Big Site Area) – Tokyo Fire Department is holding their annual New Year fire and disaster prevention event this Sunday, January 6th, 2019 at the Tokyo Big Site. They will have firefighting performances, acrobatic stunts on top of ladders, ladder rides, a parade and more.
The indoor exhibition hall (7/8 Hall Exhibition Space) will open from 9am – 2pm. They will have vehicles you can climb in and explore; firefighting vehicles, VR disaster prevention vehicles, earthquake experiences with seismic vehicles and more.
Event date and time: Sunday, January 6th, 2019; 8:30 – 11:50am
Address: Tokyo Big Sight (Eastern Landfill at the East Exhibition Hall) Ariake 3 – chome, Koto Ward, Tokyo
5. Shop at Greater Tokyo Area Outlet Centers – Most stores are having post New Years Day sales today thru the weekend. Get your hands on some great deals at our 10 recommended Tokyo Area Outlet centers. Most of the outlets are 30 – 60 Km from central Tokyo so expect 1-2 hours one way in a car or train. Details found here. Happy Shopping!
6. Go Ice Skating (Various locations around Tokyo metro areas) – Looking for some fun and cool family entertainment in Tokyo, try ice skating. Do you have wonderful memories of ice skating at the local pond or rink? Well, share those memories with your significant other, or kids at one of the Tokyo ice skating rinks. You can easily access one of the year-round rinks or one of the seasonal rinks that are now opening around the Tokyo area. Bundle up and hit the ice! Some great iceskating rinks for 2019.
7. Hit the slopes this weekend. Here are our Top Recommended 2018-2019 Ski / Snowboard Day Trips from Tokyo. Great for families, many resorts offer lessons for kids and they are easily accessible.
8. Fun Full Day at Sky Tree and Soramachi, Sumida-ku – Winter is the best time of year to visit the Skytree because the sky are usually clear and blue. The view from the top of the Skytree is an amazing experience. The best time to visit the Skytree is when it first opens at 9:00, peak hours are noon to 16:00 and are super busy. There is a special ticket desk for foreigners on the 4th floor that has English speakers and materials. If you have a wait before your Skytree appointed time you can spend 60 mins at the Sumida Aquarium right next door, or the Kodomonoyu Playcenter in Soramachi. Soramachi also has a Starbucks and any kind of food you desire. This weekend the stores are running great sales so have fun!
January 5 – 6th, 2019 Tokyo Weekend Family Events and Activities