Himawari Medical Information Service – Find Tokyo Doctors and Pharamacies

Himawari Medical Information ServiceOne of the most helpful and free services the Tokyo Metropolitan Government provides to Japanese and foreigners is the Himawari Medical Information Service. If you are looking for a doctor or pharmacy, you can call or look on the Himawari English language website.  Himawari also provides emergency medical translation services. All doctors and pharmacies listed on the service are supposed to speak English. The telephone service also supports Chinese, Korean, Thai and Spanish speakers. This is a good service to know about, so print out this page and post it on your family information area in case of emergency.  http://www.himawari.metro.tokyo.jp. Info tidbit: Himawari means sunflowers in Japanese. Keep your family healthy and happy!

Himawari Medical Information Service (Tokyo)

In case you cannot find a hospital when you are ill or injured you can search at these links 24/7.

Tokyo Metropolitan Health and Medical Info Searchimages

Search Hospital/Clinic By Location

Search Hospital/Clinic By Station

Search Pharmacy By Location



If you prefer to talk to someone about your health needs please call the following numbers:

Tokyo Metropolitan Health and Medical Information Center (Tokyo-to Hoken Iryo Joho Center)
TEL: 03-5285-8181
Daily9:00 – 20:00
Languages: English/Chinese/Korean/Thai/Spanish
Information about medical institutions as well as about the medical and health insurance system in Japan are provided by staff who speak foreign languages.

Emergency Translation Services
TEL: 03-5285-8185
Weekdays: 17:00 – 20:00
Weekends and Holidays: 9:00 – 20:00
Languages: English/Chinese/Korean/Thai/Spanish
Interpretation service through phone is also available for foreign patients visiting a hospital if their treatment is not going to be carried out smoothly because of language difficulty. (for medical purpose only)


Himawari Medical Information Service (Tokyo)

images1Did you enjoy this article? If yes,  please sign-up for the Best Living Japan newsletter, so you don’t miss any great info. It is easy to sign-up just click here, and enter your email.

Check Also

Japan Hotel Quarantine Survival Kit

Japan Hotel Quarantine Survival Kit

If you are returning back to Japan in late Dec or early Jan and know …


  1. Joseph Gunawan

    I have a pain in my knee, and my hearth problem can you please inform me the best doctor in Japan

    • Hello Joseph,
      I`m sorry to hear you have pain in your knee and heart problems. We are not medical professionals. Please contact the Himawari number 03-5285-8181 from 9:00AM – 8:00PM daily and they can better assist you.

  2. Hello,
    I have moved to Omiya last year in March and I have been looking for a hospital/clinic to have papa test and blood test done. I used to have annual medical check ups in Utsunomiya where I lived for 3 years. Every year we receive the cancer screening card from he government and on that card there is always a list of clinic where we can go.
    The card (がん検診等のご案内) I received in Omiya doesn’t have a list of clinics/hospitals and I didn’t know where to go and how to ask about it and make an appointment? Can you please help me?

    • Hello Elma, The documents sent to you with the card should have a list of clinics/hospitals for the area you live in. If it is not clear it would be best to visit the health office in your townhall. They should be able to help you.

  3. My wife is pregnant and she will be coming to japan in her 5th month of pregnancy to join me.
    once she arrives here, she will get health insurance.

    will she be allowed to give childbirth in japan?

    to be on safer side, Just wanted to know if there is any Japanese rule for it.

    • Hello, If you are covered by JNHI (Japanese national health insurance) your dependents will be as well usually. You should check with your employer.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *