Home / Guides / Getting a Japanese Passport for Your Newborn

Getting a Japanese Passport for Your Newborn

Congratulations on the birth of your child! Here is information on where to go, what to bring and how to get a Japanese passport for your newborn.  One of  the child’s parents has to be a Japanese citizen to apply for a Japanese passport. The procedure below is based on our personal experience. Hope it helps you out. Getting a passport in Japan for our dual citizen children seemed to be so much simpler than getting their USA passports.  Note: You will need to renew the passport at years 5, 10 and 15 of age; for Japanese passport renewal process click here.

Getting a Japanese Passport for Your Newborn

There are 4 Japanese Passport offices in the Tokyo area. Please locate the office closest to you.

1) Metropolitan Government Building Citizens Square 1st Fl (都庁都民広場地下1階 )
2-8-1 Nishishinjuku, Shinjuku-ku (宿区西新宿2-8-1)
Access: Shinjuku Station: The West Exit just west of Keio Plaza Hotel

2) Tokyo Traffic Hall 2nd floor (東京交通会館2階)
2-10-1 Yurakucho, Chiyoda-ku (千代田区有楽町2-10-1)
Access: Yurakucho Station: The Kyobashi Exit; there is also good public parking under the building

3) Sunshine City World Import Mart 5th Floor (サンシャインシティ内 ワールドインポートマート5階 )
3-1-3 Higashiikebukuro, Toyoshimaku (豊島区東池袋3-1-3)
Access: Ikebukuro Station: The East Exit

4) Lumina Tachikawa 9th Floor (ルミネ立川店9階)
2-1-1 Akebonocho, Tachikawa-shi (立川市曙町2-1-1)
Access: Tachikawa Station: 9th floor of the Lumine/Station Building

Locations: http://www.seikatubunka.metro.tokyo.jp/access/

Items to take with you to the Japanese Passport Agency:
– An official copy of your Koseki (family registry) from your ward or city office.
– Alien Registration Card
– National Health Insurance Card
– A passport-sized (45x35mm) photo of your child. The best way to get a photo is place your child on a white sheet in your home and take pictures while standing above the child. Eyes must be open in the photo. My kids photos were not perfect – just get the whole face with no hands in the way.
– Proof of the spelling of your child`s name in English on a birth certificate, child`s insurance card or foreign passport. If you do not have this, you will have to copy a letter in Japanese, by hand, to assure the government that that is the correct spelling of your child`s name in English.
– Your child

You can see a sample application form filled out here:

You will have to write your child`s name in English in the orange rectangle under their passport photo. Below your child’s name, in the small space marked by a dotted orange line, you will have to write “[Your Name] (by Mother/Father)”. Be sure to write this below the dotted line and totally within the box to avoid having to rewrite the entire form. Once submitted and approved they will give you an 8.5 x 11″ paper receipt with the date for pick-up stamped on it.

Processing takes as little as 2-4 weeks. Children’s passports are valid for 5 years. The cost of a 5-year passport is 6,000 yen. Payment must be made in yen which will be reflected in a printout on your receipt and in the form of a 4,000 yen stamp.

DO NOT lose this form. You will need this and your child in order to pick up your child`s passport.

Japanese Passport Information
http://www.seikatubunka.metro.tokyo.jp/passport/0000000487.html (in Japanese)

FAQs about Kids with Dual-Citizenship and Passports</
1. Does a child have to choose Japanese or second citizenship by a certain age? The Japanese government would like dual-citizen children to choose one nationality by age 22. However, there is no law that states this is mandatory, nor is there any legal action that can be taken.

2. What is the best way to use dual passports when traveling? Our children leave and enter Japan using their Japanese passport. They enter the USA and exit the USA using their USA passport.

3. Can you apply for a Japanese passport overseas? Yes, you may apply for Japanese passports at consulates abroad. From my personal experience, the process is similar to executing in-country but the time to receive takes 4-6 weeks.

4. Can my child have three names on the passport – first, middle and last? Yes, three names are possible. However, it is easier if the child has their second passport completed with the names desired. Bring this passport with you to show that you want the three names similar to their foreign country passport. For some reason, this makes the conversation go more smoothly.

5. If my child is born in Japan can we get a Japanese passport? Japanese passports are only provided to children who are born to parents where both or one are Japanese citizens. If the child is born in Japan but to parents who are not Japanese the child will not be eligible to get a Japanese passport.

6. Until what age can my child apply for a Japanese passport? The age is 18 years.

P.S. Visit our Top Recommended Baby Posts


Getting a Japanese Passport for Your Newborn



Did you enjoy this article? If yes,  please sign-up for the Best Living Japan newsletter, so you don’t miss any great info. It is easy to sign-up just click here, and enter your email.


Check Also

Japan Post Nengajyo (New Years Postcard) Lottery

Happy New Year! ** Update: The 2018 Winning Post card numbers and prizes located at …


  1. Does this apply for a new born even if the parents are not japanese?

  2. Dear Sir,
    Me and My husband both are Bangladeshi Citizen. But our two kids are born in Japan.Now we are in Bangladesh.If we go Japan again,can they get Japanese Passports?
    Thanks You.

    • Abdul ghani babar

      Dear sir
      How are you
      Sir my question is we are live in japan last 14 teen years and my 3 babies born in japan and 2 big baby boy going to schools and we have Japanese prmenant residentsi ,we need japan passport because my children knows only Japanese languages he don’t know speak English and my home country language,
      So please reply how can I will get Japanese citizenship

      Best regards

      • Hello Abdul, It sounds like you should apply to become a naturalized Japanese citizen. We have not research this topic yet. I recommend you contact the immigration office to get details.

  3. Hello Saiyeda,
    Unfortunately no. In order to get a Japanese Passport for your child At least one parent has to be Japanese.

    • Hello saiyeda
      Unfortunately no in order to get Japanese passport
      Your kid is not sufficient because you both are not Japanese
      And on the process of getting passport it’s not easy
      Your kid have speak and write Japanese words and do not think it’s easy to getting green card like U S A

  4. princess may matsumoto

    Im married to a japanese but my 1month old child is born in the philippines. She is already registered to our koseki tohon. How can she get a japanese passport and the requirments aswell?


  5. Hello Princess,
    I missed this post!
    Do you live in Japan? If so, take the necessary paperwork listed above to the nearest passport agency. If not, consult the Embassy of Japan in your country.

  6. Hi! Do I need to bring the child during the registration? If the child is only 1 month old? Or only requirements should I bring?

    Thank you

  7. Hello Mai,
    Please contact your closest passport office.
    You don`t need your child for renewal (5 years). However, they may be strict with new applications.
    The process is fairly quick. Good luck!

  8. I want to go back to the Philippines and I have a 1month old baby but he don’t have his passport yet is it ok to bring him without a passport??what document should I bring???please help me thank you..

  9. That’s exactly what I want to find. Thank you so much for sharing it!

  10. Hi! i just want to ask how to get passport if my father is japanese but my nationality is filipino? Thankyou!

    • Hi Michi,
      The passport office said if you`re in Japan and you have an official copy of your family register (戸籍謄本 / koseki tōhon) you can submit an application for a Japanese passport. You`ll have to take other documents as well (drivers license/gaijin card, insurance card, photo, etc.). Please contact your nearest passport office to obtain a list of the necessary documents as it varies with age.

  11. Dear Sandra,

    I’m 21 years old, and a Filipino national. My father is Japanese and my mother is Filipina. I was wondering if it’s possible for me to apply for Japanese passport.

    Your reply would be much appreciated! Thanks.

    • Hi Lisa, I think you needed to apply before the age or 20 with Japanese father’s support. Sorry do not have more details on adults applying for Japanese citizenship. Lauren

  12. Hello po..I am in Davao and I have 1 month old baby whose father is japanese.we are not married but i want to live and my son in japan.
    What can i do?

    • Janet, You boyfriend (or father of child) can apply for your child’s Japanese citizenship and passport. Your child can then live in Japan, but you would need a spouse visa (married) or work visa to live with your child in Japan. Lauren

  13. Hello.

    Could you translate in English what are the parts of Japanese passport application form i should fill in? I am not really good in nihongo, i hope u can help me. Thank you so much!

    • Hi Kiyoko,

      We have included a link to a sample application form that is filled out which includes the katakana, kanji and furigana spelling of your child`s name, birthdate and signature. Your address, phone number and signature needs to be filled in on the front and back of the form. Perhaps a family member or friend can help you with the Q&A part of the form. If not, there are staff at the passport agencies that should be able to help you out. Best to call the office prior to going to see if they have someone who can speak English. Hope that helps! Sandra

  14. Hi ! I have concerns about my child I already divorced to my husband japanese but i live here in japan then I’m pregnant i have concern about my child citizenship and passport can you explain if what stutus to my coming baby if he still japanese or filipino citizen

    • If the father of your unborn child is Japanese and states the child is his you can file the child to be a JP citizen (the father has to support you on this). You do not need to be married to have your child be Japanese. However, If the father is not claiming the child as his you will need to take him to court and prove through DNA that the child is related. Hopefully the father will be supportive. Best of luck.

  15. Hi! I will soon be giving birth to our child. My husband is a Japanese. And we have a plan to go to the Philippines when our baby is already three months old. Does the baby needs a passport? What are the requirements for applying passport for a newlyborn baby? Some Filipina told me that we can’t apply for the baby’s passport unless the baby can sit already for picture taking. How true is that? I am hopeful that you can help me with these issues. Thank you so much. God bless

    • Hello Yamijhen, You can and should apply for a passport as soon as you can after birth. Our children got both their Japanese and American passports at about one month old. You only need a face photo so the baby does not need to sit. Lie the baby down on a white sheet and stand over it to take a picture – eyes must be open for the baby’s photo. All other details are in the page you wrote this comment. Lauren

  16. Hi my husband is Japanese and we are separate 2 years ago but where not divorce in papers, I have a boyfriend now and I’m 2 months pregnant with my boyfriend if I’m getting boshi techo in city hall it that possible to my husband that I’m pregnant. Sincerely thank you

    • Sorry Ara, I do not know if you pregnancy status can/will be shared with your legal husband (not yet divorced). You should probably ask the town hall. Good luck. You could also contact the TELL TOkyo English Life Line and ask. They may know more about a complex question like this.

  17. hi
    i am Japanese resident in europe. my daughter has also japanese passport. my daughter s son was born in europe in 2016. but she missed tu report hid birth to local japanese consular. (within 3 months)
    how can she apply his jsapanese passport from europe ? is there any lawyers to apply hs passport ?
    pls provide procedures hoe her son, (2 years old) can acquire japanese passport ?

    thank you.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *