GALA Yuzawa Snow Resort is one of the most convenient snow resorts to visit with little ones outside Tokyo. It`s a 75-min shinkansen ride (Max-Tanigawa or the Tanigawa) from Tokyo station and the train drops you off right inside the base of the GALA Yuzawa Resort making it ultra convenient if traveling with small kids. Step off the shinkansen, purchase your lift pass, grab your gear and go! It couldn`t be easier. The 2016 Winter Season opens from Saturday, December 17. Plan ahead and get ready to hit the slopes
GALA Yuzawa – Ski & Snowboard Lessons from Age 4
GALA Yuzawa is a parents` ski-snowboard paradise. Full Rental gear is available for both children and adults, they offer English-speaking Ski & Snowboard lessons for beginner to advanced levels from Age 4 (reservations are required), and they have a designated snow play area for young children surrounded by a safety net as well as a snow sledding slope. They also have a child sitting area at the top of the gondola station so parents can get in some runs (Children must be 2 years or older. Only available in Japanese). There are a number of eateries to choose from and they have the Spa Gala-No-Yu to relax those sore muscles after a few runs. The perfect day trip out with the family this season.
– Check the forecast before you go. We failed to check the weather and spent the day under heavy snowfall.
– If you`re a foreign passport holder consider purchasing the JR Tokyo Wide Pass. The JR Tokyo Wide Pass provides unlimited travel on JR trains (including shinkansen and limited express trains) and selected non-JR trains in the Kanto Region for three consecutive days. Adult 10,000 yen and Child (6-11 years) 5,000 yen. Check the website for details.
– Every 3rd Sunday from December to April is “Children’s Ski Day”. Lift tickets are free of charge for children under age 12. Preschool aged children and younger ride the gondola for free every day.
– There is a free shuttle bus that takes you to ski areas from all the main hotels, apartment buildings and station exits, etc. It runs regularly throughout the day starting in the early morning. Take a look at their 2016-2017 Shuttle Bus Timetable.
– If you have your own gear you can courier it to the GALA Yuzawa Ski Resort Courier Center prior to your arrival.
GALA Yuzawa Details
Address: 1039-2, Kayataira Yuzawa-machi, Minamiuonuma-gun, Niigata-ken, 949-6101 Japan (〒949-6101 新潟県南魚沼郡湯沢町大字湯沢字茅平1039-2)
Phone: 090-3703-7795 (Only in Japanese)
GALA Yuzawa Resort, Niigata – Ski & Snowboard Lessons from Age 4
Did you enjoy this article? If yes, please sign-up for the Best Living Japan newsletter, so you don’t miss any great info. It is easy to sign-up just click here, and enter your email.