Summer is here! Perfect time to try some cool and delicious ice treats in Japan – icecream and shaved ice. These are our top picks!
Favorite Top 5+ Ice Treats in Japan – Icecream and Shaved Ice
1) Gelateria Marghera is definitely one of the most delicious gelato shops in Tokyo. The Azabu store was the first store outside of Milano, Italy. Gelateria Marghera has another branch in Ebisu and also Namba, Osaka. You will have a hard time choosing from their 68 flavors of gelato and also specialities such as dopocena and biscotti and semifreddo. The colorful but simple interior will allow you to relax and cool down. Stop into Gelateria Marghera this summer.
Gelateria Marghera, Azabu
2-5-1 Azabu Juban, Minato-ku, Tokyo (東京都港区麻布 Tel :
Hours: 11:30 – 22:30 everyday
Access: 4 min walk from Azabu Juban station Exit 4 on the Oedo and Namboku Line
Gelateria Marghera, Ebisu
2-5-1 Ebisu Minami, Shibuya-ku, Tokyo (東京都渋谷区恵比寿南1-5-5 アトレ恵比寿 3F)
Tel : 03-5475-8409
Access: Ebisu JR station and Hibiya Line.
2) Paletas Frozen Fruit Bar is a great spot to have a healthy and refreshing summer treat. They offer over 30 mixed frozen fruit flavors using seasonal fruit from all over Japan. You can choose from their frozen Juice-based: Mix East & Citrus Mix 480 yen or Migaki Ichigo at 580 yen; Gelato-based: Berry Berry Berry 500 yen, Peach Peach 480 yen, Caramaro Ichigo 580 yen; Yogurt-based: Blueberry Yogurt 480 yen; and even Alcohol-based selections: White Sangria or Pina Colada (480 yen). They carry a great variety and add new flavors every month. Prices range from 400 yen to 600 yen a stick.
Paletas Frozen Fruit Bar Details:
Address: Tokyo Midtown Galleria B1, Akasaka 9-7-3 Minato-ku , Tokyo
Business hours: 11:00 – 21:00
Access: Roppongi Station (Oedo line), exit 8; (Hibiya line), exit 8 via underground passageway near exit 4a; Nogizaka Station (Chiyoda line), exit 3
3) Ouca Japanese Ice is amazingly light and refreshing. Their signature flavors include milk, pumpkin, tomato, black sugar banana, ground soybean powder and green tea. However, if you prefer something a bit more standard, you can also find strawberry and kiwi which are amongst my favourites. If you buy in the store, you can mix three flavors in one cup and enjoy! Ouca is conveniently located right outside Ebisu JR station. Buy a cup and relax with the family inside or out. This is one of the best Japanese ice cream stores in Japan so treat yourself!
Ouca Japanese Ice Details
Address: 1-6-6 Ebisu, Shibuya-ku, Tokyo (東京都渋谷区恵比寿1-6-6）
Phone number: 03-5449-0037
Business hours: Summer hours March – October 11:00 – 23:00; Winter hours November – February 12:00 – 23:00
Access: 2 min walk from Ebisu station on the JR and Hibiya Lines (Google Map)
4) Sulbing Korean Shaved Ice is a Korean Dessert Cafe most famous for unique flavors and toppings on shaved ice. Sulbing was founded by an enthusiastic Korean woman who majored in food and nutrition in college. Since opening in 2013 close to 500 chain stores have opened in Korea, and Sulbing is expanding to 16 countries over the next few years. After just one trip to Korea, Sulbing has become a favorite, perfect hot summer day treat!
Strawberry Sulbing and Kinako Mochi are the most popular. The shaved ice serving size is very large therefore it can be a struggle to finish on one`s own, so bring a friend to enjoy the treat!
Sulbing Korean Shaved Ice Details (설빙, ソルビン原宿, 東京)
Address: 1-14-34 Jingumae, Shibuya, Tokyo (東京都渋谷区神宮前1-14-34)
Business hours: 09:00 – 21:00
Access: Harajuku Station (Yamanote Line). A 2 min walk from the JR exit (Google Map)
The newest location open in Fukuoka (Vioro B2F, 2-10-3 Tenjin, Chuo-ku)
5) Blue Seal Okinawan Ice Cream, Ebisu Garden Place offers a unique fusion of American and Okinawan flavors that are rich in taste and refreshing. Some of their unique flavors are Okinawa Ta-imo Cheesecake, Ube (Okinawan Purple Yam), Blue Wave, Ryukyu Royal Milk Tea and Okinawan Salt Cookies. They also carry standard flavors like Vanilla, Strawberry, Almond Pistachio, Chocolate Cookie Swirl, and Mint Chocolate. You can also get Tapioca Drinks with unique flavors like Beni-imo Milk, Hawaiian Milk and Hawaiian Silqua with/without soft serve soft serve, and hot or cold crepes.
Blue Seal Ebisu Garden Place (ブルーシール 恵比寿ガーデンプレイス店) can seat about 15 indoors and 10 out. It`s located directly across the street from the Ebisu Walkway; a great spot to grab ice cream and watch the trains pass on the bridge or directly below the Blue Seal Cafe. They also sell ice cream cup gift sets; 12 100ml cups for 3630 yen; 18 for 4630 yen or 24 for 5556 yen. Stop in and try quintessential Okinawan ice cream.
Blue Seal Ebisu Garden Place Details:
Address: Ebisu Garden Place, 4-20-5 Ebisu, Shibuya-ku, Tokyo (東京都渋谷区恵比寿4-20-5)
Shop Hours: 11:00-22:00 Daily
Access: 10 minutes from Ebisu Station on the JR and Hibiya Lines.
6) Gelateria Acquolina (ジェラテリア アクオリーナ) is a cozy shop in Yutenji that creates delicious homemade gelato with flavors that change with the season. The classics are there but they also have unique flavors like basil & lemon. If you buy in the store, you can mix two or three flavors in a cup or cone. Kids love their light and refreshing melon and grapefruit combo. Patrons love their rich and nutty pistachio which goes well with a chocolate combo. More details –>
Gelateria Acquolina (ジェラテリア アクオリーナ), Yutenji Details:
Address: 1-11-10 Gohongi, Meguro-ku, Tokyo (東京都目黒区五本木1-11-10)
Shop Hours: Wednesday – Friday 14:00-23:00; Sat, Sun & Holidays 13:00-23:00. Tuesdays Closed. September 25 closed.
Access: Yutenji Station West Exit. Exit then turn right. The shop is across the street.
7) Three Twins Organic Ice Cream Shop, Daikanyama – Three Twins Organic is a Californian-born ice cream shop that offers 11 different flavours of natural ice cream without artificial colourings, seasonings and preservatives. Popular flavors are Madagascar Vanilla, the sweet-and-sour blend of orange and chocolate named Chocolate Orange Confetti, and the San Francisco fave, Sea Salt Caramel. They also carry lemon cookie, mint confetti, mexican chocolate and dad`s cardamom among others. More details –>
Address: Daikanyama Station Bldg 1F, 19-4 Daikanyamacho, Shibuya-ku (東京都渋谷区代官山町19-4)
Shop Hours: 10: 00-21: 00 Daily
Access: Daikanyama Station (Tokyu Toyoko line)
8) Premarché Gelateria in Nakameguro offers 40 different flavors of vegan, dairy or dairy-free gelato in their recently opened shop in Nakameguro. They serve 40 flavors of tasty gelato made from natural ingredients without additives. The shop lets you taste up to 3 flavors before you decide to have a scoop or 2 or 3 in a cup or their mochi waffle cone made from rice. Organic nuts and dried fruits buffet available for 300 yen. More Details –>
Premarché Gelateria has two additional branches in Kyoto; The Kyoto Sanjo Main Store (carries 46 flavors) and the Kyoto Kitayama (carries 20 flavors).
Premarché Gelateria プレマルシェ・ジェラテリア Nakameguro Details:
Address: 2-9-36 Kamimeguro, Meguro-ku, Tokyo
Shop Hours: Sunday – Wednesday 12:00 – 21:00; Closed Thursdays; Friday – Saturday 12:00 – 22:00
Access: Less than a 1 minute walk from Nakameguro Station (Tokyu Toyoko & Hibiya lines)
Favorite Top 5+ Ice Treats in Japan – Ice cream and Shaved Ice