Cheer up in all this rain by making decorated umbrellas. Not only will you have a fun umbrella it will decrease the chance of being taken by other folks. Japanese clear umbrellas are great since they are so inexpensive and 100% see through. Everything can be purchased at your local 100 yen store like Daiso and other craft stores. This craft takes 10 – 60 mins and costs about 300 – 700 JPY per umbrella. Making Slime is also a great rainy day activity – check out our where to buy and how to make Japan Slime post.
Rainy Day Craft – Decorated Umbrellas – Never Lose Your Umbrellas Again
– clear umbrellas (usually 200 – 500 yen)
– vinyl tape in multiple colors (sold in most 100 yen stores)
– stickers – allow your child to chose their favorites
– permanent markers that can write on plastic
1. Open the umbrella and apply tape, and marker drawings on the inside of the umbrella
2. Stickers are usually only one sided so if you want to see the sticker from the outside of the umbrella you need to stick on the outside
3. Tape the handle in a bright color or design (helps with recognition when folded).
***Note: Do not take the shaft or ribs of the umbrella or it will not close
Great craft for Japan Kids