We spent a lovely, long weekend in Atami on the Izu Peninsula with family visiting from the U.S. Atami is a traditional and popular hot springs resort one to two hours outside Tokyo (depending on your method of transportation).
We stayed at the Atami Juraku Hotel, a 3-minute walk from the station and a 5-minute walk to the beach. It`s located on a hill with a beautiful view of the sea and beach. They have an indoor and outdoor hot springs bath as well as rooms with your own private hot springs bath. Upon arrival they greet you with a cool drink and dessert snack.
Our party of nine (five adults, two infants & two children) were served breakfast and dinner in one of their large banquet rooms. The meals were beautifully presented and the staff very attentive. Patrons have the option to dine in room as well. Lunch was at one of the many restaurants along the popular Atami shopping street.
We spent the weekend coping with jetlag on Atami Sun Beach, a short 3-min walk downhill from the hotel. There is a Lawson`s convenient store located at the bottom of hill adjacent to the beach with restrooms in the back as well as an outdoor spout to wash the beach sand from your hands and feet.
Things to do:
– Take a stroll down the Atami Ginza Shopping street; they sell a variety of dried fish, onsen manju (hot spring steamed sweet cake), fish paste cakes, and citrus fruits! There are many child-friendly restaurants along this street.
– Visit Atami Sun Beach to relax, play sports or take a swim!
– Ride the rope way to Atami Castle and for a panoramic view of Atami.
600 yen round trip for Adults (JHS and above)
400 yen round trip for Children (JHS and below)
– Visit Atami Castle. Built in 1959, it houses exhibitions of Samurai Cultures and Japanese Castles, and offers the best 360 degree panoramic views of the sea and countryside on their observation deck.
– Stroll though Baien Koen (Plum Tree Park).
It`s a lovely place to spend a relaxing weekend in a traditional Japanese style. Note Atami Juraku Hotel`s front desk has a welcome book in English describing their spa and meals menu, how to use the hot springs baths as well as general information. One should know basic Japanese for a comfortable stay.
Atami Juraku Hotel Details
Address: 2-19 Taharahoncho, Atami, Shizuoka Prefecture (〒413-0011静岡県熱海市田原本町２−１９)
Access: 49 min on the Kodama Shinkansen from Tokyo Station; 30 min Kodama Shinkansen ride from Shin-Yokohama; 90 min train ride on the Super Odoriko from Shinjuku (the Super View Odoriko`s Car # 10 has a play room for kids).
Atami Juraku Hotel
Did you enjoy this article? If yes, please sign-up for the Best Living Japan newsletter so you don’t miss any great info. It easy to sign-up just click here, and enter your email.