As a mom of four kids, I often get asked about great gifts for Baby. Zero to nine-month babies are typically non-mobile but are highly stimulated by high-contrast colours, sound and motion. Also by nine months many become solid sitters and crawlers. You do not need to invest in a lot of toys at this age. My advice is buy items that are small, portable and versatile in location and use. There are a lot of great products in Japan, but this is my curated top 10 list of gifts for baby 0-9 months. Would love to learn your recommendation, please add to the comments section below.
Hope this list of Gifts for Baby 0-9 months is helpful!
1. Newborn babies cannot see actual colours until 4-5 months., but they can make out the contrast of black, white and red very early in life. This Tiny Love Doublesided First Book (about 2,000 JPY) is a high contrast book that attaches to the side of a crib or stroller. Great item to stimulate baby’s vision. I used one for all four of my kids.. A very versatile product.
2. This set of Sassy Black & White Link of Rings (about 750 JPY) is a must have for keeping toys secure to strollers or car seats. Babies drop toys all the time! These hook rings will keep everything clean and organised. Most versatile item for baby on this list.
3. There are a wide variety of colours and design of these Kids II O Balls (about 1,200 JPY) available in Japan. This ball is great for little hands to grasp and very lightweight for Baby to swing around. The clips above keep this ball securely attached to the stroller. Also, if your baby needs more stimulation you can crinkle up a plastic shopping bag and push it inside of the ball to make an interesting sound.
4. This Heimess Star Top (about 1,000 JPY) is a fun wooden top that little hands can grasp, and gums can gum! As baby grows, the star can also be used as a top which when spun is a rainbow of colours. This star is a colourful and long lasting wooden top that your baby will use for many years.
5. This very unique Japanese teething and rattle set (about 4,500 JPY) is made of processed rice. The simple design and natural material base makes it one of the most popular selling baby toys on Amazon.co.jp. The set is composed of a four items that baby can gum all he/she wants since the set is washable.
6. Stacking Cups are a must have for any baby. They are fun in the bath and everyday play. Here is a nice set from Combi (about 1,000 JPY). If you want other stacking cup options here is an entire list.
7. Teething rings are a must have from about five months onward. Baby’s just love gnawing on them, especially if it is a cute squid! This Japan designed Squid teether is just so soft and cute. The Ika KamiKami (about 400 JPY), which means chewy chewy squid in Japanese, is a very Japanese gift that will bring a smile to baby and adult faces.
8. Once baby is holding up his/her head or sitting in a high chair this is a great toy to stimulate eye tracking and touching skills. This Sassy spinning toy (about 2,000 JPY) suction cups to floors or tables where baby can easily grab and spin it. The bright colours and sounds it makes will keep baby engaged.
9. Babies love looking at other babies, even when the other baby is themselves. Love this Sassy mirror (about 3,000 JPY) which is great to use on the floor on a blanket with baby. It can also be safely used in Baby’s crib. Large enough to see baby, and mommy or daddy’s face together. This is a toy that will be used for many years!
10. I bought this Tiny Love ButterFly clip toy for Baby (about 1,000 JPY) when she was two months old to hang from her stroller. She loved the ringing sound that the butterfly makes when moved. It clips and unclips just by squeezing with one hand, so it can be easily moved between the stroller and car seat. It also washes very nicely in the washing machine.
Hope this list of Gifts for Baby 0-9 months was helpful!
If you found this list helpful, check out the How to Keep Baby Warm & Healthy in Japan list.
Gifts for Baby – 0-9 months
Did you enjoy this article? If yes, please sign-up for the Best Living Japan newsletter, so you don’t miss any great info. It is easy to sign-up just click here, and enter your email.