Taking long-haul flights with kids is a challenge. Getting them to sleep comfortably on an overnight flight is a struggle. Welcome the Fly-Tot, a brilliant solution to help children stretch out and sleep comfortably on long haul flights.
What is it?
The Fly-Tot is an inflatable cushion that allows your little ones to stretch out and get comfortable on a regular, economy seat – even sleep. The cushion fits perfectly in the gap between the seat making a great bed or leg rest for your children.
How does it work?
– Place the cushion in the footwell between the seats.
– Use the pump included in the purchase to inflate the bottom portion of the cushion. Once filled seal the valve then, inflate the top. Total inflating time about 3 minutes. For a better idea, take a look at the Fly-Tot inflating instructions with photos.
What is the cost?
The Original Fly-Tot with foot pump and strap costs 69.00 USD. They ship internationally.
– Do a test run a test run at home before flying.
– Open the deflate valve and stretch out the Fly-Tot for less inflating time.
– Make sure nothing you need is in the seat back pocket or the floor of the seat as the Fly Tot will fill the space as it is inflated.
– Do not over-inflate. The Fly Tot should be firm and level with the seat.
– We own two Fly Tots. When both my children want to sleep, one likes to lay across two Fly Tots and the other across two seats.
– The Fly-Tot is fairly large (Deflated and Folded: 11X5X4 inches. 3lbs, 8 ounces total weight). My husband has no problem carrying two in a backpack however, when I fly alone with two kids I place the Fly tots in a wheeled carry on onboard.
– It makes a slight whistling sound while inflating.
– The Fly-Tot is not officially approved by airlines or the FAA. I had no problems using it on Cathay and Japan Airlines.
I applaud the two moms with young kids who made flying more relaxing for their children. The Fly-Tot has made our long-haul flights less stressful with happier, well-rested kids. Thank you Fly-Tot!
** Best Living Japan is not affiliated in any way to Fly-Tot nor paid for this review. We enjoy sharing our Best Travel Tips for traveling families and Guides for Living in or Traveling to Japan.
P.S. Read our Top 10 Tips on How to get your Kids over Jet Lag Faster and The Best Transport for Families from Haneda and Narita Airports.
A Brilliant Solution for Long Flights with Kids, the Fly-Tot
Did you enjoy this article? If yes, please sign-up for the Best Living Japan newsletter, so you don’t miss any great info. It is easy to sign-up just click here, and enter your email.