If you are looking for art supplies for a school project, new crafting passion or a Halloween costume here is a short list of the best Tokyo arts and crafts supply stores. I have listed up a few places that are my go to locations in Tokyo; many of these also have branches throughout Japan. Create and enjoy life!
Best Tokyo Arts and Crafts Supply Stores
1. Sekaidō (Shinjuku, Tokyo) – Is probably the most traditional and extensive fine arts supplies store in Tokyo. This store has five floors of every product across every medium possible. Their painting and drawing section is my favourite. If you leave C1 exit from the east of Shinjuku Station, you will see a large banner with a depiction of Mona Lisa on it. Make sure your sign-up for their points program that will give you a 5-10% off your purchase.
Address: 3-1-1 Shinjuku, TokyoPhone: 03-5379-1111Business hours: 9:30 – 21:00 Access: Exit C1 Shinjuku station on the Marunouchi or Toei Shinjuku Lines
Website: http://www.sekaido.co.jp/ (Japanese language only)Online store: http://webshop.sekaido.co.jp/ (Japanese language only, over 5,000 yen free shipping)
2. Yuzawaya (various locations; including Kamata, Shinjuku, Kichijoji, Osaka, Kyoto, Fukuoka) – Yuzawaya is a very large craft chain in Japan with over 20 stores. Yuzawaya started as a store in Kamata, Tokyo area and have over five buildings near the Kamata station. However, they also have stores located in large department stores in Tokyo and Osaka. Yuzawaya sells fabrics, embroidery and knitting items, handicraft supplies, painting, calligraphy, stationery and much, much more. Make sure you join the store’s ‘Yuzawaya-tomo-no-kai’ club to get 10% or more off your purchases.
– Shinjuku store (Takashimaya Times Square 11th floor, Sendagaya 5-24-2, Shibuya-ku)
– Kamata store (8-23-5 Nishi Kamata, Ota-ku, Tokyo)
Open hours: 10am – 8pm everyday (Sat until 8:30pm)
3. Umematsu (Shibuya, Tokyo) – This art store is quite small but if you paint or draw you will find everything you need just outside Shibuya station. Very convenient for paints, brushes, and canvases. Note: not stroller or wheelchair friendly.
Address: 2-20-8 Shibuya, Shibuya-ku, Tokyo
Business hours: 10:00 – 20:00 Monday – Saturday (closed Sunday)
Website: no website
4. Toa Textile World (Shibuya) – Toa is my go to for textiles when making kids Halloween costumes, cushion covers and wall hangings. Toa has a great selection of basic cottons, satins, fleece and suiting. The store also offers chiffons, fake fur, sequins and all the sewing accessories and decorations you will need for your project. Toa also has a cute selection of holiday prints, Japanese traditional prints and silks.
Toa Textile World Details
Address: 1-19-3 Jinnan, Shibuya-ku, Tokyo / T: 03 6463 3351
Business Hours: Everyday 10:00 – 20:00
Access: 5-8 min walk from Shibuya station
5. Tokyu Hands (various locations across Tokyo and Japan) – Tokyu Hands is a general merchandiserwith a wide selection of art and craft supplies. I think the best selection is at the Shibuya store especially if you are looking for wood or sewing supplies. Most of the stores offer a good selection of painting and drawing materials.
Tokyu Hands Details
Address: Great store locator here with all information http://www.tokyu-hands.co.jp/en/shoplist.html
Business hours: typically 9:30 – 21:00 (please double check on the store locator)
Website: http://www.tokyu-hands.co.jp/foreign.html (English)
6. Daiso (many locations throughout Tokyo and Japan) – Daiso is famous for the their 100 yen and low prices stores. They have over 700 stores now in 25 countries. Daiso is a general merchandiser but has a good selection of craft items such as paper, paints, markers, styrofoam, etc. If you are doing crafts with your kids, this is a great and inexpensive option. I have been to the store in Ebisu, Harajuku and Shinjuku and have always found a great selection.
Address: Great store locator here with all information http://www.daiso-sangyo.co.jp/shop/index.php (only in Japan but has a image map)
Business hours: typically 10:00 – 21:00 (please double check on the store locator)
Website: http://www.daiso-sangyo.co.jp/ (Japanese language only)
Best Tokyo Arts and Crafts Supply Stores
Did you enjoy this article? If yes, please sign-up for the Best Living Japan newsletter, so you don’t miss any great info. It is easy to sign-up just click here, and enter your email.